Summer is deemed as the lawn-mowing season, thus lots of property owners and homeowners are busy mowing their lawns to get rid of fast growing grasses. Keeping the lawn and backyard clean, tidy and luscious is very important to maintain the aesthetic appeal of your property. Keep in mind that our outdoor spaces are vital in ensuring the beauty and appeal of our properties, thus it is vital to mow the lawn regularly. However, there are lots of homeowners out there who are confused on the type of Self Propelled Lawn Mowers to use in their yards. Given the wide array of options available in the market, Peruse this article further to get some insights on the different kinds of lawn mowers to help you decide which one suits your needs best.
Knowing More of the Diverse Kinds of Lawn Mowers
- Reel manual lawn mower is ideal for those with small lawns that are smooth and flat. These mowers are not just light in weight but don’t have engines and minimal moving parts, hence it can last for quite some time. These are great for cutting grass but have tendency in missing tall weeds.
- The battery-powered electric mower is another kind of lawn mower that is also great for homeowners with flat and small lawns. These mowers are durable, quiet and does great job in cutting grass.
- Electric lawn mower is another great option to consider for those who want to own powerful and efficient lawn mowers. These lawn mowers don’t require regular maintenance and servicing and are great for those with large, small or flat lawns. However, you need to have a lengthy extension cords so as to cut grasses in large lawns.
- Another kind of lawn mower is the walk-behind gasoline powered lawn mower. These mowers are louder and heavier compared to its counterparts. It has the ability in cutting different types of grasses, irrespective of the roughness of your lawn.
- The last kind of lawn mower is the riding mower. This is ideal for those who own large lawns that are greater than one acre. Riding mower exists in different kinds like the small mower, garden tractor and the zero-turn lawn mower.
When in doubt with regards to the kind of lawn mower that is ideal for your property, you can always consult your trusted lawn mowing service provider or the sales representative for suggestions and guidance.
Garden or Lawn Tractor Buyer’s Guide
Those who have a large yard or lawn will want to skip past reel mowers, push mowers and move into the realm of riding lawn mowers. However, there are different kinds of ride-on mowers, each with its specialty and drawbacks. So, how do you choose the appropriate mower for you and your lawn?
First let’s talk a little about the three different kinds of Garden or Lawn Tractors.
These mowers are made for half acre yards or larger. Their cutting width and size vary widely and they can accept variety of attachments, handle plenty of other outdoor chores such as snow removal, aerating, bagging, hauling etc.
These tractors feature a rugged construction, powerful transmissions, more HP and wider cutting widths. They are great for undulating plains, massive yards and also to pull heavy loads. Many attachments help it perform plenty other outdoor chores too.
Choosing The Type Of Garden or Lawn Tractors
To decide on the right kind of riding lawn mower, ask yourself the following three questions.
- Is maneuverability really important? Or do you have plenty of obstacles in your yard?
- What cutting width and range will suffice for your yard?
- Do you plan on bagging grass and multitasking?
If you answered yes to only the first question then look at Zero-turn radius mowers. If you answered yes to the second or third question or even both then look at garden tractor. If you only want the third option then go for a lawn tractor.
Having decided on the type, here is a checklist of things that your specific riding lawn mower should have.
- Handling – No matter what kind of mower you get, if its too hard to handle, you will eventually want a new mower. So, try out ride-on mowers before you purchase them.
- Speed – Do you need a multi-speed system? If you have obstacles dispersed around a wide expansive yard then you need to be able to change speed. This will let you mow better around obstacles.
- Cutting Path – Riding mowers come with different cutting widths. It is the size of the deck on the mower that determines how many passes you will need. Smaller the yard, less is the cutting width required. For yards no more than 1.5 acres a 30 to 40 inch cutting deck is fine. For 1.5 to 3 acres choose 40 to 48 inch decks and for 3 acres or more go above 48 inch decks.
ADDITIONAL FEATURES FOR MORE PRODUCTIVITY
While most folks choose riding mowers to simply reduce the burden of mowing their land, later many realize the immense potential these tiny tractors possess. Here are a few add-on features that can come handy to you in future, if your mower has it.
- Aerators will let you aerate the lawn as you mow around.
- You can fertilize as you mow if your mower can accommodate a spreader behind it.
- Dump carts convert your ride-on mower into a tiny tractor.
- Snow blowers will help you keep your driveway and lawn free from snow.
- Sweepers will let you keep your lawn clean of debris, clippings and leaves.